Posts for category: Dental
Drs. Chethan Chetty and R.K. Chetty, your Eagle Rock Family Dentistry dentists, in Los Angeles, CA, provide their patients with dental implants.
More About Dental Implants
"Tooth loss is very common and it can happen as a result of disease and trauma; therefore, the use of dental implants to provide support for replacement of missing teeth has a long and multifaceted history," according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
Synthetic dental implants replace missing tooth roots that anchor a tooth to the jawbone. The structure consists of:
- a titanium post that's inserted into the jawbone to prevent bone structure deterioration
- a screw is inserted in the post to secure the abutment over the titanium post
- a crown that matches the rest of your teeth is placed above the abutment to complete the restorative procedure and produce that beautiful smile
More About the Procedure
Your Los Angeles dentist drills a hole into your jaw, inserts the titanium post into your jaws to replace the missing tooth root. Dental implants provide tooth stability strength and prevent jawbone shrinkage.
The procedure is very simple but does take a long time:
- your doctor seals your gums in the surgical area
- your doctor allows the titanium post to fuse in a process called osseointegrate, this takes 3 to 6 months
- the surgical area is re-opened to insert the screw, an abutment and a crown
How can you care for your dental implants?
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss every day, at least once before bed
- Maintain a healthy diet, avoid soda and candy
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris
If you have more questions, or concerns, about dental implants, call (323) 258-2885 to schedule an appointment at Eagle Rock Family Dentistry in Los Angeles, CA, with Drs. Chethan Chetty and R.K. Chetty, today!